CAREERS AT GIBBS & COX - Current Openings
STRUCTURAL ASSISTANT ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT MANAGER - NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Responsible for assisting in the management of the Structural Engineering Department to ensure that the engineering and management needs are fulfilled in order to achieve the technical, employment and business plans and standards of Gibbs & Cox.
The department consists of 20+ persons in multiple locations concentrating in naval and commercial ship structural design that ranges from conceptual through detail design, construction, test and trials, and post-delivery support. The department is responsible for the design of primary and secondary ship structure.
· Assist in the daily management of the department staff by assigning work, monitoring work performance and the review of final work products for quality assurance.
· Assist in the development and improvement of structural engineering processes, procedures, methods and quality assurance.
· Help develop and manage budgets, and schedules.
· Assist in the assessment and improvement of the department’s competency and areas of development, including the identification of people, resources and tools.
· Effective communication skills with Gibbs & Cox staff, clients, and vendors at all levels and conduct presentations at all levels.
· US Citizenship and the ability to obtain a Secret Security Clearance.
· A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering or related discipline.
· 10(+) years’ experience in structural engineering, with management responsibilities and experience preferred.
· Experience with the structural design of naval and commercial vessels including primary and secondary loads, fatigue, and shock.
· Must be able to scope Detail Design engineering tasks.
· Must possess an enthusiastic and energetic personality in order to attract, motivate and lead a disciplined and focused engineering team and to earn the respect and trust of our clients and the Gibbs & Cox organization.
· Must be a problem solver with the ability to see the overall picture and envision how engineering disciplines collaborate and integrate in a multi-project environment to create accurate products on time and within budget.
· Experience in establishing an engineering process development methodology, mentoring and training engineering staff, and establishing and monitoring high quality product development goals.
· Experience in the implementation and enhancement of the engineering environment using leading edge computer-aided engineering analysis, and management tools and technologies.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and organizational and time management abilities.
· Must be flexible, resourceful, self-starter and solution oriented.
· Work experience with the US Navy, shipyard, or commercial Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering services firm is desired.
Gibbs & Cox, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; Apply by email firstname.lastname@example.org