Gibbs & Cox, Inc. possesses significant experience in integrating complex electronic systems into ship designs. This experience includes feasibility and trade-off studies, preliminary designs, contract designs and detail designs of shipboard and land-based test site system installations, as well as test and trials support and problem identification and correction.
- Mission analysis, threat assessment
- Weapon and sensor selection and evaluation
- Topside integration and blockage analysis
- Aircraft/UAV facilities
- Waterborne mission system integration
- Integrated Bridge System integration
- Distributed announcing system integration
- Integrated Interior Communications System integration
- Fiber Optic Cable Plant Design
- Total ship integration and impact assessments
- Mission System Modularity
- Design budgeting
- Space arrangement optimization
- Human factors assessments
- Structural support (shock and vibration analysis, alignment)
- Support services interfaces (power and signal cables, waveguides, HVAC, chilled water)
- Protection of vital systems
- Magazine safety assessment
- System Survivability analysis
- Total ownership cost analyses/li>
- Land based test site design
Among the unique areas of Gibbs & Cox, Inc. experience are the designs of integrated fiber optic cable plants for shipboard systems. Gibbs & Cox, Inc., working collaboratively with NAVSEA and NSWC Dahlgren since 1987, has defined and documented standard methods for fiber optic cable plant design and installation, and has applied these methods to the design of cable plants for over eleven classes of USN ships, including LHD 8.
Application of Electronics System Integration Expertise to Naval Shipbuilding Programs
Gibbs & Cox, Inc. is at the forefront of integrating complex electronic systems into naval and government ship designs, including the following new construction and back fit programs.
|New Construction Programs
- Littoral Combat Ship
- RAN Air Warfare Destroyer
- New corvettes, frigates for international clients
- USCG Deepwater Program
- DD(X) Blue Team
- DDG 51 Flight IIA
- Area AAW and self-defense upgrade studies for Royal Australian Navy (RAN) ANZAC frigates
- AEGIS SPY-1F/VLS Advanced Combat Systems upgrade to FFG 7 design for Taiwan Navy
- High Power Discriminator radar installation studies
Recent Electronics System Related Projects include the following:
- Littoral Combat Ship Preliminary Design – Design and engineering to integrate core mission systems and modular mission payloads into a total ship system. Design and engineering of interior communications system, including major subsystem specifications and diagrams.
- LHD 8 Class Contract Design- Developed design for an integrated fiber optic cable plant using blown optical fiber
- DDG 51 Class – Developed Distributed Announcing System contract-level design. Provided engineering support to the implementation of Integrated Bridge System. Prepared detailed fiber optic cable plant survivability analyses.
- USCG Deepwater Program – Developed integrated interior communications system specifications and diagrams covering integrated bridge system, telephone systems, announcing systems, automation and control systems, and alarm systems
- T-ADC(X) Contract Design – Developed integrated blown fiber cable plant specification and diagram for Naval Communications Center and Ship Automation Systems